Executive Director Search
Disability Network/Lakeshore’s mission is to connect people with disabilities to resources and opportunities while building communities where everyone can participate, contribute, and belong.
DNL serves more than 1,500 people annually in Ottawa and Allegan counties, focusing on the needs of the whole person—not just their disability—so they can achieve a more balanced life. Its core services include information and referral, transition, peer support, advocacy, and skills development.
DNL is one of 15 regional Centers for Independent Living (CILs) in Michigan and 340 CILs nationwide. The term “center for independent living” means a consumer-controlled, community-based, cross-disability, nonresidential, private, nonprofit agency that is designed and operated within a local community by individuals with disabilities, providing an array of independent living services. A minimum of 51 percent of all staff and the board of directors must be persons with disabilities.
We are currently looking for an Executive Director to join our team.
The Executive Director of DNL, working in partnership with the board, administers the strategy and operation of the organization. The Executive Director is responsible for staffing, supervising, planning, developing, budgeting, implementing, and evaluating the operations of the organization. This position is responsible for supervision of staff and reports singularly to the board of directors.
The Executive Director represents the organization to community groups, various governmental entities, elected officials, and other stakeholders; understands and explains disability issues; and establishes and develops cooperative, innovative programs to enhance opportunities for fulfilling the DNL mission and independence for persons with disabilities.
DNL is looking for a proven leader to join a passionate board and gifted staff to lead the organization toward the fulfillment of the mission and strategic goals. In this role, you will spend your time in the following areas:
- Organizational Leadership and Strategy
- Oversee management of DNL’s Independent Living program
- Overall program oversight and management
- Community Representation and Advocacy
- Interact with key stakeholders, agencies, organizations, institutions, and government officials to grow the organization
- Develop strategic partnerships to advance DNL’s mission
- Resource and Staff Development
- Develop and manage events that raise both awareness and funds to support the organization’s mission and strategic plan
- Explore and implement new business and revenue opportunities to expand mission and impact while creating long-term sustainability
- Assure staff are provided with the tools, resources, and leadership to grow within their roles
- Financial Management
- Monitor all fiscal and financial aspects of the organization, including preparation and monitoring of annual budget, grant writing, and other financial resource development
Do you have the following required qualifications?
- Demonstrated ability to lead, develop, and empower staff
- Demonstrated success collaborating with nonprofits, community agencies, and government entities
- Demonstrated responsibility of profit and loss within a nonprofit or business environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute business strategy to grow revenue and services offered to the community
- Ability to oversee the grant application process and grant management process
- Ability to travel as business needs require
- Personal and professional values compatible with those of DNL and the independent living philosophy
Do you have the following preferred qualifications?
- Personal or significant experience with a disability
- Experience working in nonprofit environment
- Master’s level degree
DNL offers a competitive salary and benefits including a salary range between $80,000 and $90,000, health insurance and prescription coverage, vision and dental insurance for employee and qualifying dependents; group life and accidental death insurance; simple IRA with 3 percent employer match; generous paid time off; flexible working hours; and ten paid holidays.
DNL is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values the diversity of its workforce.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 26.
Our World still has barriers for people with disabilities.
Whether you're an individual or a company, searching for disability resources is discouraging and frustrating. And when you don't have the right tools, individuals and communities suffer. Wouldn't you like to live in an inclusive community where everyone can participate, contribute, and belong?
The right resources are hard to find. We get it.
Donate Today To Make a Difference!
Helping others live lives less complicated by disabilities takes people and resources. Support like yours helps us continue helping others struggling to navigate disability resources. 90% of your donation goes directly into services to individuals, their families, and our community.