Youth Transition Specialist
Job: Youth Transition Specialist (fulltime)
Reports to: Director of Community Development
Description: The Youth Transition Specialist contributes to Disability Network Lakeshore’s mission by equipping youth with disabilities (including adjudicated and at-risk youth with disabilities) with employability and independent living skills to make post-secondary and career decisions that lead toward independence.
- Coordinate and provide direct instruction and peer support for youth and adults related to job readiness, career preparation, independent living skills, and self-advocacy to promote independence.
- Partner with school administrators, teachers, court personnel, community partners, students and parents to create a climate of collaboration in service of the student’s independent living goals.
- Attend IEP and 504 meetings as requested.
- Provide teacher and parent trainings related to disability specific topics.
- Write and maintain reports to referral sources detailing services provided and progress made toward goals.
- Create and strengthen relationships with referral sources to maintain and increase referral base.
- Participate in professional development activities to maintain knowledge of best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or Human Service-related field or a minimum of 5 years of experience working with students with disabilities in an education or residential setting.
- Personal experience with disability and/or knowledge of disability related issues.
- Experience working with adjudicated youth, youth with emotional impairments, and/or youth in residential treatment in a trauma informed/responsive modality.
- Experience designing and successfully adapting curriculum to diverse populations.
- Working knowledge of the ADA, IDEA, Section 504 and how they relate to the rights of students with disabilities.
- Ability to communicate in verbal and written formats.
- Ability to multi-task with strong attention to detail.
- Capacity to effectively solve problems and work largely unsupervised.
- Must be able to move about the community as some daily travel is required.
- Possess values consistent with the independent living philosophy and Disability Network Lakeshore
Disability Network Lakeshore’s mission is to connect people with disabilities to resources and opportunities while building communities where everyone can participate, contribute, and belong.
Compensation: $17-$20 hour
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to
Stacey Trowbridge, Director of Community Development
442 Century Lane ⬧ Holland, MI 49423
No telephone inquiries, please.
Equal Opportunity Employer